Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Edward Bowles - 1805-1895



Short History of Edward Bowles

Edward Bowles was born 23 Sep 1805 in Calne, Wiltshire, England to Isaac Bowles and Mary Hatter.

Edward married Ann Bolton 8 Oct 1835.

Ann Bolton was born 28 Jan 1803 in Goodacre, Wiltshire, England to Thomas Bolton and Martha Clark

Edward and Ann had four children: Thomas born 18 Aug 1836; Martha born 8 Mar 1839; Mary born 8 Aug 1841; and Enoch born 25 Nov 1843 all in Calne, Wiltshire, England.

Edward was a weaver of baskets and then sold them.

[The history of their joining the Church and immigrating to Utah is told in Thomas Bowles history]

Edward died 25 July 1894 at Nephi, Juab, Utah and Ann Bolton Bowles died 20 Mar 1882 also at Nelphi, Juab, Utah.

[No photo available for Ann]

Edward married his first wife - Amelia Bird on 16 Apr 1831 in Calne, Wiltshire, England. They had two children: William born 10 Mar 1833 and Matilda born 8 Mar 1835. Matilda died Sep 1835.

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

My name is Carolyn Pearce and Edward Bowles was my great great grandfather. His son William by his first marriage to Amelia Bird was my greatgrandfather. When the family emigrated to Utah to become Mormans, Edward had already left William behind in one of Britains notorious workhouses (Devizes Wiltshire ). He was only a young child then. 1841 census shows William in the workhouse at age 9 !!! Not a very Christian thing to do to a small child. Have you any comments on this ??
You can email me at acpearce1@hotmail.com
Carolyn Pearce of Adelaide Australia

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for sharing these wonderful histories. I'm a granddaughter of Lois Bowles. I have had parts of histories, but it is so nice to have more of the picture. I know life was very hard in the 1800's, and no one really knows why people may have done certain things.
Derra Yates
Canada

Anonymous said...

The family didn't leave for the states till 1856. That would have made William 23. Maybe he chose not to go.

Anonymous said...

Not so! William was given the option of going with the family to Utah, but he didn't want to leave England. He was 9 years old on the British Census in the year 1840. In the year 1856 that would make him 24 years old, give or take a year. Old enough to make your own decisions, don't you think? Why he put him in the Work House at Devizis could amount to a hundred reasons? The records are short on that? We have only the dates to depend on; and we can't prejudge a man for reasons unknown to any, but Edward himself? In 1856 Edward with his 2nd wife Ann Bolton migrated 5,700 miles crossing the Atlantic Ocean, then by rail from New York to Iowa, and then the last 1,400 miles by hand cart with the James G. Willie company nearly freezing to death and never once complaining about it nor did his children or his wife Ann.

Kari Pike said...

Thank you for sharing these histories. I am a 4th-great-granddaughter of Edward Bowles And Ann Bolton. I was looking for family history stories to share with my children and for a couple of them to take on their upcoming youth trek. I am very excited!

Staci Wray said...

I have to say a big thank you for posting these histories. I came across them by accident and cried tears of joy. I can't thank you enough. I am the great grand-daughter of Sarah Vivian Bowles, she is the daughter of Thomas Edward Bowles and Louisa Bale Bowles. Thomas Edward, such a rascal! What a scandal it must have been. I have so much compassion for Louisa. She must have had spunk to move and tell people her husband was dead. Thank you so much. I treasure these histories and have enjoyed passing them along to my family. Staci Wray